In the top photo on the left is my first all-birch diagonally plaited vessel, a traditional Russian salt cellar design. Even though the bark I used was second-rate, salvaged from woodpile scraps, it was still remarkably supple and ready to weave; and the finished vessel has a sturdy, robust character. It is supposed to have a carved wooden stopper; I'm a novice carver, so I purchased some bass wood for the purpose.
On the right is a bark cylinder shell stitched with spruce roots. I tried working with roots last year and I was unsuccessful; this year, it worked out for me, and now I understand why spruce roots were the stitching material of choice for First Nations all across Canada, wherever they were available. I have some more large chunks of bark like this from the woodpile so I'm thinking I might do a tray like one I saw at the Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History last summer.
When I get home I'm going to buy myself a Jerry Stripper or an old pasta maker, or both -- it's very time-consuming to cut all those strips by hand!